Monday, November 3, 2008

Thing #9: More Flickr Fun


Like many Web 2.0 sites, Flickr has encouraged other people to build their own online applications using images found on the site. Through the use of APIs (application programming interfaces), many people have created third party tools and mashups that use Flickr images. Here are just a few …

Discovery Exercise:

Your discovery exercise for this “thing” is to:
  1. Explore some of the fun Flickr web applications and 3rd party tools that are out there.
  2. Create a blog post about one that intrigues you.

Some of the applications and tools you will run across during this exercise are obviously "just for fun." Did you see any that might have a practical application in the library?

89 comments:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Checked out the Flickr fun stuff.

http://quiltinlibrarylady.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-9.html

Didn't spot anything right off hand that I considered useful for the library.

Sarah Olivia said...

Well, I had some difficulty seeing how this 'thing' would relate to the library unless it would be used in adding things directly to the web site or, again, for signage. I tried various tools, but spent the majority of my limited time on FlauntR...I modified two personal photos and put them in my blog (though one got cut off -not sure what to do there!). You can see them at:

http://mrsjustice.blogspot.com

Madame Bonbon said...

I'm not feeling too inspired by this lesson. Perhaps it's time for a nap and a bonbon.

post

Anonymous said...

Loved looking at all the Flickr fun stuff but am not sure that all of this would be an addition that we would use, since we don't have a lot of time to do things of this nature. http://deb-hpl.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed viewing the fun Flickr web applications.

vbeck said...

It was fun discovering all of the fun things you can do with photos.

http://nelearns2.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-9.html

NancyS said...

Someone (Madam Bonbon?)suggested using Flickr for bulletin board ideas...they do have a lot of good ones!

Sky said...

Thing 8-9-10 are all in the same post. Here's the link...

http://seeryuslibrary.blogspot.com/2008/10/flickr-this-thing-8-9-10.html

~Sky

Casey's Blog said...

Well, many of the applications were blocked by the web filter that is used in our school district. It was kind of disappointing that they would be blocked.


http://caseysteachingblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/flickr-discovery.html

baskets said...

The Clockr web application might be both fun and practical for a library. Use a laptop to project the time then patrons could glance back now and then to see what random image is now displaying. It might be especially fun for children who are learning to tell time.

Anonymous said...

This was fun but not practical for my use.

http://melniel.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-8.html

Madame Librarian said...

This is a fun exercise! I enjoyed exploring the various web applications that are out there. Some people have w-a-a-a-y too much time on their hands! (See the Internet Inferno for an example!)

http://musicmaam.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Here is my post describing a website with Flickr toys.
http://aqlibrarynews.blogspot.com/2008/11/flickr-discoveries.html

Ann

Dianne said...

Thing 9 done.

http://lifewithdianne.blogspot.com/2008/11/spell-with-flickr.html

Michael Sauers said...

http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/2008/11/thing-9-compfight.html

vc said...

I enjoyed checking out the Flickr Fun for Thing #9. Flickr Color Pickr was fun.

http://vc-vcsblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9-more-flickr-fun.html

Cranefarm said...

I better stop playing for today.
http://dancingcranefarm.blogspot.com/2008/11/white-on-white.html

MM said...

Now my eyes hurt :)

http://kitschylib.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9.html

T said...

Slideshows and image gallery applications could be pretty useful. http://t-beyondthemargin.blogspot.com/2008/11/more-flickr-fun.html

lgweb2.0 said...

This is interesting but don't really see any applications for library use

dawn said...

Flicker can be fun
http://dawnslearning.blogspot.com/

Kids R Great said...

http://kidsrgreat1s.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9.html

Cute but not much use to me at this point in my life. Maybe I'll find a use for some of this later???

Rita said...

Fun With Flickr was fun - - - up to a point. Then either Flickr or I just got silly. Here's my blog post with a couple of photos that I used 2 Flickr web apps on.
http://rockinref.blogspot.com/2008/11/flickr-fun.html

Bob said...

Spell with flickr...

“BOB THE DINOUSAUR”

willie said...

for Thing 9 - color picker was fun

Dawn said...

Ok here it is Flicker almost whooped me.

http://dawnlearning.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9-flicker-challenge.html

Sarah J said...

Lots of fun -- I could spend hours exploring. Might be useful for those of us who are constantly trying to come up with creative displays around the library.

Hawkeyebeth said...

Here's what kind of luck I had...
http://bookmobiling.blogspot.com/2008/11/more-fun-with-flickr.html

books4york said...

If we start putting "commercial quality" images on FLICKR, this watermark generator could be very handy. I'll try an image set & post a follow-up comment.

books4york said...

Tried the picmarkr watermark generator. The before and after results are viewable in our Wild About Reading Flickr set. I tried all summer, but did not get a bird photo in the right location to merge with an appropriate book -- maybe next year.

Beverly said...

You could have some fun and get carried away with these applications.
Beverly's Blog

Jodene said...

Jodene's 9th Thing
http://tinklestein.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9.html

lauran said...

I'm just about flickr'd out for now. http://lauranloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2008/11/too-much-flickr-fun.html Can't wait to see what Thing 10 is.

njv@dml said...

Glad to be done with Thing #9.

Anonymous said...

http://nanvac.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9-my-question-is-where-do-people.html

Anonymous said...

WOW! Information overload!!!

I'm not aware of a library use for all this Flikr Fun. But, when I have all the time in the world to do whatever I want, exploring the possibilities might be entertaining.

http://bookexotique.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9.html

Dana said...

I was making flikr harder than what it is. Do have some really cute baby pics posted!!
http://danaslearning.blogspot.com/

JoyeLee said...

http://joyesfirstblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-tried-flickervision-and-didnt-like-it.html

lauran said...

Tried this one again, and got my picture to actually show up in the blog. Thank you, Madam Bonbon!

http://lauranloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2008/11/image-generators-take-2.html

Kathysings said...

I had fun changing an Einstein photo with a comment of mine and changing my icon to one with a red rose. I also posted some photos and decided to remove them right away so I am getting the experience to allow me to use flickr in the future.

kathy the librarian said...

Fascinated with Flickrvision. It was amazing all the pictures that kept popping up around the world in the "last minute!" My husband was on his computer so I told him to go to Flickr and check it out. He spelled it Flicker...and wondered what I was getting into. It appears that by adding the "e" you get a porn sight! One has to be careful in the world of technology!

Cheryl said...

It was fun to play with the flickr fun stuff. The chia pet was amusing and of course findr was interesting. Not much for library use, but fun.

Pam@Hastings said...

See my impressions of these fun little thingies at:
HPLmeanderings

Tammy said...

http://tamlyntea.blogspot.com/2008/11/more-flickr-fun.html

pejorg2000 said...

http://troglodyte-librarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/more-flickr.html

baskets said...

Here is my blog comment about More Flickr Fun:

http://baskataloger.blogspot.com/2008/11/more-flickr-fun.html

TerriOWH said...

http://metaatem.net/words/Red%20Cloud

fun site to play around with

CS said...

Thing 9

The Spell with Flickr has potential!

JUDYG said...

Boy, if you want us to PLAY Flickr is the place to go. I only tried a gazillion vatiations on names; until my bifocals failed.

http://judyg-oldlibrarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/flickr-really-is-lot-of-fun-but-i-agree.html

kv@lcl said...

The mosaic-making site is awesome.

http://234kv.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9-of-23.html

lizzieJ said...

Wow! I think we could use clockr in our library meeting room.And some others on our website.
http://liziej.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9.html

Daniel Vanderford said...

I'll have to check out clockr. I thought montagr sounded good too!

http://quillscribbles.blogspot.com/2008/11/flickr-fun-thing-9.html

raptorrunner said...

I was wondering about the relevance, but once I found Flictionary, I didn't care, lol. My blog: http://raptorrunn3r.blogspot.com/2008/11/flickr-games.html

PS How do you do a hotlink, instead of inserting a URL? It looks so much cooler.

Carole Matthews said...

More Flickr Fun is just too much fun. Latest post here. http://prairie-prose.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9-more-flickr.html

Carol E said...

http://carol-hoorayya.blogspot.com/2008/11/nebraska-learns-20-thing-9.html

Carol E said...

http://carol-hoorayya.blogspot.com/2008/11/nebraska-learns-20-thing-9.html

Cheryl said...

It was lots of fun to play with all the assortment of things you can do with the Flickr fun stuff. I especially enjoyed Dumpr http://cheryl-flickr.blogspot.com/pecially enjoyed Dumpr.

Kathryn said...

I found a way to spell my name and post the result on my blog. Enjoy!

Tiffany said...

There is a lot of "fun stuff" and a lot of just "stuff"

Here's my blog post:
http://tiffanylearns20.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-9-more-flickr-fun.html

Marie said...

THING #9 is now finished. On to the next.

http://marieloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-9-i-looked-around-flickr-and.html

Anne said...

Oh my goodness...The possibilities within "flickr" are endless. I suppose one is limited only by one's imagination. As far as application to the library, I can see all sorts of things we could do with some of the suggestions on the site and within the third party sites. Fun...we will have a good time with this one.
http://thelibrarianspeaksout.blogspot.com/2008/12/expansive-imaginations.html

NixNoos said...

This is to replace my earlier post with a typo in it. http://nixnoos-caseydinah.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-9.html

TheCorey said...

I played around with Bubblr. I used some public domain Star Wars fan photos to create a comic strip about Darth Vader shopping at Wal-Mart for an IPod on the day after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, my computer froze up and I lost the strip. I still had fun, though.

Anonymous said...

Flickr is fun. I can see spending lots of time there.

http://nebrbookworm99.blogspot.com/2008/12/more-flickr.html

clwydshire said...

Programmableweb.com is a useful site for finding mashups based on Flickr, or other web 2.0 services. My comments are here.

Rae S. said...

Thanks for showing us what's available, even if we don't have time to explore it all. My blog post is at http://raelearns.blogspot.com/2008/12/flickr-fun.html

Dan Nieman said...

More Fun With Flickr http://theantiquarianlibrarian.blogspot.com/2008/11/more-fun-with-flickr-flickr-foldr.html

Just Robin said...

Thing 9!

Someday I am going to be caught up I swear!

Vicki's blog said...

Thing #9 is done and I also didn't see to much that would be useful in the library.

leanablue said...

I like Flickr. It is a good way to save your photos without using up too much space on your hard drive. I found a way to send photos from my camera phone to Flickr.
http://leanablue.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-9.html

chocolil said...

Thing #9
http://chocolil-librarybooks.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-9.html

Sue's blog said...

#9
I enjoyed this. I could use this on my website or it would be a fun way for students to create their names and print them out. There was nothing to it. I had it spell out Library and it was a great look. A fun use of pictures.

keri_from_alma said...

I spent way too much time checking out Flickr Fun stuff. Here's my post on this "thing":

http://kerikreations.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-9.html

bksrgr8 said...

Had some fun playing today.
http://nebraskalearnsbksrgr8.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-9.html

Anj said...

Sounding off at http://l2ne.blogspot.com/2008/09/thing-9-more-flickr-fun.html

By the way, anyone know how Blogger decides what time it is? I posted at 9:23 pm, but Blogger marked it as 7:06 pm. If it were off by an even hour, I'd chalk it up to a time zone thing, but it's off by an odd number of minutes. I'm sure all my other time stamps are wrong, too.

Michael Sauers said...

Anj,

Two things about how blogger sets the time for a post. First, Blogger does default to Pacific time. Check in your blog's settings for the time zone option and change it to the right one. That will help.

Second, it sets the time at "when you start writing the post" not when you publish it. So if you start it at 7pm but click publish at 7:30, it will report a 7pm time. You can manually change the time on a post by clicking the "posting options" link below the compose box.

Michael

lakeveran said...

Using Flickr to be really creative. I was amazed to see what three people and done with the pictures on Flickr. Here is my blog url http://lakeverna.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-9-more-flickr-fun.html

Pigeon Racing Fool said...

http://1pigeonracer.blogspot.com/

If I were a teacher I would love this but for me it's another resource I might be able to use.

Anj said...

Michael,

Thanks for the info on Blogger time settings. That was very helpful.

--Anj

D. said...

I had some more fun with Flickr and blogged away at:

http://dmcdnut.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-9-more-fun-with-flickr.html

L L Learner said...

I had fun...fun...fun with Flicker tools. My blog post is at http://lllearnersblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-9.html This blogging is getting easier!

Library Learner said...

I think it would be fun to create posters encouraging reading using the captioner tool. I could take a picture of the principal or basketball coach reading a book and add a cute cartoon caption, similar to the "Everyone Reads" series of posters you can purchase, only personalized.
http://ilikelibraries.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing9more-flickr-fun.html

nas said...

Flickr is an easy way to view friends and family photos online.

A-one a-two a-one two three four said...

Some fun stuff. Useful? My blog is at http://einekleinemusik.blogspot.com/2009/01/more-flickr-fun.html

Operations said...

Alright I think that's it for me today. It's been fun. Time to go digest all of this before I start up again tomorrow.

http://milfordlibrary.blogspot.com/2009/01/flickr-2-where-is-1.html

Lucky Librarian said...

http://luckilibbi.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-9.html

jeanette said...

I loved this one.
http://quiltingranny-jag-blogspot.com

Luz said...

FD's flickr Toys can be use for the summer program. I like the mosaic, magazine cover and CD cover. I was amaze about all the web applications. http://afanadorsklr.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Found some fun things that teens would enjoy.

http://carla-carla20.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-9.html