You’ve heard of RSS? You’ve seen those funny tags on websites? You’ve heard co-workers and acquaintances swear by it, but still have no idea what RSS is? Well don’t worry, according to a survey you’re still in the majority, but this is changing rapidly. In the information world, RSS is not only revolutionizing the way news, media and content creators share information, but it also is swiftly changing the way everyday users are consuming information.
RSS stands for “Really Simple Syndication” and is a file format for delivering regularly updated information over the web.
Just think about the websites and news information sources you visit every day. It takes time to visit those sites and scour the ad-filled and image-heavy pages for just the text you want to read, doesn’t it? Now imagine if you could visit all those information sources and web pages in just one place and all at the same time … without being bombarded with advertising… without having to search for new information on the page you’d already seen or read before… and without having to consume a lot of time visiting each site individually. Would that be valuable to you? Well, it’s available now through a newsreader and RSS.
This week’s discovery exercises focus on learning about RSS news feeds and setting up a Bloglines account (a free online newsreader) for yourself to bring your feeds together.
Discovery Resources:
- RSS in Plain English (3:43) - a great introduction from the folks at Common Craft.
- Getting Started with Bloglines (We will use this in the exercise.)
- Follow the discovery resources above to learn more about RSS and newsreaders.
- Create a free online Bloglines account for yourself. Follow the steps in the Getting Started with Bloglines tutorial.
- Now let's add a few more feeds to your Bloglines account.
- Subscribe to at least three of your co-participants' feeds. This is as easy as putting the blog URL into the subscribe field in Bloglines. Try it, it's easy!
Do you want to subscribe to all of your co-workers' feeds? There is an easy way to do this. See the Extra Stuff section below to learn how. - Then try adding a few other feeds from the list below.
- Unshelved - Library cartoon feed
- Subscribe to at least three of your co-participants' feeds. This is as easy as putting the blog URL into the subscribe field in Bloglines. Try it, it's easy!
- Create a post in your blog about this exercise.
Don’t know what to blog about? Think about these questions:- What do you like about RSS and newsreaders?
- How do you think you might be able to use this technology in your work or personal life?
- How can libraries use RSS or take advantage of this new technology?
- Try another reader. How does it compare to Bloglines. What features do you like or dislike?
It’s easy to add everyone’s RSS feeds to your reader using what is called an OMPL file. An OMPL file allows users to easily copy RSS feed lists from one newsreader to another. We’ve created an OMPL file that contains a list of recommended blogs and feeds so all you’ll have to do is import the file. Here is what you need to do if you are using Bloglines.
- Save the OMPL file to your computer. Right click on the link below and select Save Target As in IE or Save Link As in Firefox.
- Save the file to your computer. It doesn’t matter where on your computer you save it; just make sure you can find it again!
- Go to Bloglines and log on if needed.
- Click on the Feeds tab on the left hand side of the screen.
- Click on Edit.
- At the bottom of the left hand column will be a link labeled Import Subscriptions. You may need to scroll down the page to see this link. Click on the link.
- Click Browse and locate the OMPL file that you saved in step number 1.
- Click Import.
- When it’s done it should tell you how many feeds have been imported.
Bloglines is just one of many readers available. If it doesn't meet your needs here are a few others you might want to try.
- Internet Explorer 7 & Outlook 2007 come with a built in readers.
- Google Reader
- netvibes (more then just a newsreader)
- PageFlakes (more then just a newsreader)
It's easy to try different readers if they allow users to import OMPL files. All you need to do is export your subscriptions from Bloglines and then import them into another reader.
To export your subscriptions in Bloglines follow the above steps 2-6 except select export instead of import. Save the file to your computer. Go to the new reader you would like to try and import the file.

113 comments:
So, Google Reader is interesting...I will have to spend more time with it to decide if I like it better than Bloglines! http://soreidefamily.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-6.html
This may take a day or so of figuring everything out, but I think this is a very useful resource and will cut back on wasting time going to each website and sifting through all of the main pages etc.
I Can not get the library Commission blog subscription to work I got other subscription on though and how come some like Pam and ded have little orange tab before their name and mine is gray??? and how do I register my name for the credit hours
I would like to set up a series of classes for parents at my school about several of the "23 Things." In the past, parent sessions have been quite popular.
Gotta love RSS! :)
http://caseysteachingblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/rss.html
I'm on bloglines, but nothing I copied and pasted has shown up in my "feeds"!! When will Allana be back in the office!! HELP!!
Casey, I may need to come to your school and get some "hands-on" training!
FYI:For those of us who are not "techees". After you paste the NLC blog address in, and click on subscribe, the NLC page will show up under "available feeds" on the right side of your screen. Then you have to scroll down and click on subscribe again.
Yeah! The "feeds" are finally showing up!!
Hey Nancy, I'm going to be at the NLA/NEMA Convention again all day Friday so I won't be back in the office until Monday. I am trying to keep up with my email and all of the blog comments though.
After reading all of your posts though I don't think you're going to need my help anymore. It sounds like you got it all figured out and are helping other folks! :) If I'm wrong you know where to find me.
RSS feeds were another of those things I just never bothered with. If I'd only known what a time saver they are. Thing 4 blog post here: http://quiltinlibrarylady.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-4.html
OOPs!! I should have said "Thing 6".
Where's my head?
Actually should have said "Thing 6 & 7". The blog post address still holds though.
I created a Bloglines account & successfully subscribed to a number of feeds. I had a question, though, about subscribing to other classmates' feeds. Many of them came up with multiple feeds that I could choose from. So I checked all the boxes. But it almost looked like each blog entry was an option. So I hope I did that correctly. For those of you that are "regulars" at RSS feeds, what are your favorite RSS feeds?
Hi Kathy, I’ll try to answer all of your questions. If I miss any just let me know. I’m not sure why you are having problems with the Commission’s blog. In reading the other comments it looks like NancyS has posted a comment that might help. If not can you please tell me a bit more about what happens when you try to subscribe to the NLC blog?
The reason you have a head next to your name and not the orange block with the B in it has to do with how you were logged on to the Blogger site when you left the post. When you leave a comment you have the option to “Choose an identity”. It’s listed below the box where you enter a comment. Those folks with the orange B selected the Google/Blogger option. I’m guessing you chose to use the Name/URL option. Do you remember is that what you did?
In order to receive the credit hours we at the Commission must know your name and the URL for your blog. This way as your work through and complete all 23 things we can make sure you complete each of them. You can either post your name and URL in the comments are of Thing #4 or you can send them to myself, Christa, Michael or Susan. Our contact info can also be found in Thing #4.
I hope this helps! Good Luck!
Holy schmoopkins! My blogspot feeds are multiplying like rabbits on a hot June night.
Anywho, here is the link to my post on RSS.
One of my favorite non-library related feeds is My Life In A Cube.
Oops! In my comment above, I forgot to add the link to my blog post for RSS. Here it is:
http://rockinref.blogspot.com/2008/10/rss.html
I am now using Google Reader I just hope I will remember to check it on a daily basis and not subscribe to more then I really need. http://jeanslearning20.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-6.html
Done; blogged about it.
Thing #6
Since I already have a Google Reader account and WAY too many feeds, I instead learned how to embed RSS into a web page using PHP. :)
I absolutely love Bloglines! I have separated my subscriptions into both work and home and find myself checking it frequently. I agree with many others when they say it is such a time saver...and who doesn't need more time?! Thanks!
I subscribed to a few RSS feeds today after joining bloglines.com
This one was a little more difficult for me; this is definitely a learning experience! See the blog at:
http://musicmaam.blogspot.com/2008/10/rss-feeds-and-simplicity.html
About a month ago I became a user of Google Reader. I have made it my homepage. This way it is the first thing I see when I launch my browser. I have started using Bloglines also. I am only doing this to see which I prefer. At this time I do not care for Bloglines because it seems to have to many distractions. I also like being able to "start" articles that I would like to go back to in Google Reader.
If you are reading this comment that means you’ve made it to Thing #6 and are taking the time to read the comments folks left. Since Thing #6 is about RRS feeds I thought it would be the appropriate time to point out that there is an RSS feeds available for the all of the comments left on each Thing. Subscribing to the comments feed is a great way to keep up on comments left on the Things you’ve already completed.
You have two options when it comes to the RSS feeds for the comments.
1. Get all of the comments in a single feed. Here’s the URL for the feed:
http://l2ne.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default
2. You can have a feed for the comments on each individual Thing. That means you’ll have 23 feeds! A link to these individual feeds can be found on the right hand side of the screen under the heading of Subscribe To. Just select the Comments option and then select the RSS reader that you are using.
RSS anyone?
I am not sure if I like the RSS? The link to this comment is on http://dawnlearning.blogspot.com/2008/10/rss-anyone.html
~REALLY SIMPLE~
...all and more
anything & everything
I was playing with Bloglines and Google Reader today. Google Reader seems easier to use. We will see in the next couple of weeks which is the better one for me.
I had never heard of RSS until this thing. This makes me realize that therehttp://joyesfirstblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/today-i-imed-with-michael-from-library.html is so much technology.
I think I made it through RSS ok. I had not heard of this, but it could very well save me some time. My blog is on
http://aqlibrarynews.blogspot.com/2008/10/rss.html
Ann
Sooo, I'm not quite convinced yet that this makes life "really simple" yet. Convenient, yes. Still, if it gets me really up to the minute stuff on my beloved KC Chiefs and KU Jayhawks,I'll be thrilled.
http://lauranloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2008/10/rssing.html
RSS doesn't work for me as I had an account once before but never used it and then forgot the password. But I did this project again and maybe this time I'll use it more
Sorry. I skipped making a post. I didn't realize I needed to do this step if I was not interested in earning library credits. I will now go backwards and see what else I might have missed.
RSS isn't easy for me. I can see the time-saving value of it, but don't know if I'll bother. So far, just using the Internet Explorer reader is easiest for me.
http://nanvac.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-6-i-am-over-my-head-on-this-one.html
I also like Google Reader, especially since I'm usually logged into my Google account already. Bloglines and one of the firewalls I'm under doesn't agree. I can search and read blogs but I can't view those I've subscribed to.
Thing 6...
http://seeryuslibrary.blogspot.com/2008/10/rsswhat.html
~Sky
I still like Google reader! :)
Just hope I didn't get tooooooo carried away with the number of feeds I selected for myself!
Here is my Blog Link for #6
http://2-0blogbyluke.blogspot.com/2008/10/rss.html
RSS Report for Thing # 6http://nphsmc.blogspot.com/2008/10/rss-feeds.html
Cheryl Says...
RSS is interesting. I can see where it would be helpful in a professional situation to keep certain kinds of information current.
RSS would be helpful to very busy business people
http://kitschylib.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-6.html
I just finished Thing #6..I need to spend a little more time with this..I think I will use it once I am more comfortable with it. I am leaving now to go trick or treat with my 2yr. old grandson he probably knows more then I do!!HA!
Here's my post:
http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/2008/10/thing-6-rss.html
It's fun to subscribe to RSS--it is keeping me up with the issues and technology in the library at this point. It's easy to get carried away and subscribe to too many of these though.
http://bookmobiling.blogspot.com/2008/10/rss-is-really-simple.html
I registered for RSS, but now I am stalled out on Thing #6 and 7 since I did not get my confirmation email. I sent an email to "contact us."
Opened my Bloglines today. I thought I would open a new account to use in connection with this adventure. I have a Google Reader also. new blog at:http://prairie-prose.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-have-been-using-google-reader-for.html
I never even heard of RSS until I started Thing #6. It wasn't too terribly difficult, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it made my life really simple!
Got the bloglines set up and it wasn't too hard. Added several links.
I have been using Google Reader but I like bloglines, my problem is keeping my choices to a manageable number. There is only so much time to read blogs in a day.
Here is my blog on this topic: http://dancingcranefarm.blogspot.com/2008/10/rss-feeds-in-my-yahoo-and-more.html
Here is my blog regarding Thing 6. I'm glad to know what the icons and what RSS is but I'm doubtful that I'll use it a lot.
http://melniel.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6.html
I tried both Bloglines and Google Reader. I thought they both were easy to use. I'm glad to finally understand RSS.
http://vc-vcsblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6.html
So far I am enjoying this program and learning about Things I had not heard of or perhaps put much thought to it.
I need to spend a little more time on this.
Yaaay! I've gotten the hang of RSS. I have set-up google reader account and subscribed to a whole lot of websites and feeds. I love it that it skips ads and reduces all the wait for websites to come up.
http://bookmystique.blogspot.com/2008/11/really-simple-syndication.html
Yaaay! I've gotten the hang of RSS. I have set-up a google reader account and subscribed to a whole lot of websites and feeds. I love it that it skips ads and reduces all the wait for websites to come up.
http://bookmystique.blogspot.com/2008/11/really-simple-syndication.html
Think #6
http://pjsthoughts-pj.blogspot.com/2008/10/pjs-thoughts-today.html?showComment=1225821000000#c8176854542588448229
http://kidsrgreat1s.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6-7.html
RSS is like info-in-a-can.
http://234kv.blogspot.com/2008/11/rss-feeds.html
Look forward to working with this more. http://t-beyondthemargin.blogspot.com/2008/11/rss-and-me.html
I plan to use this to keep track of my personal information needs. At work I could see a teacher assigning students to monitor certain feeds and then post comments about them on their classroom blog. Our school needs to go 1 to 1 computer : student ratio!
My RSS blog entry is here: http://quillscribbles.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6.html
Looked at what the state newspapers were offering in their RSS feeds, and "Unshelved." Thus far have not found anything with the right focus that I'd subscribe that way. One of our staff members is an Unshelved follower. To keep with the spirit of this exercise & build "KILGORE 4 U" into a valuable public service, I'm thinking about looking for RSS links to book review blogs emanating from the large independent bookstores like Powells, Politics and Prose, and the Tattered Cover.
What about it, fellow L2NE'ers -- need a feed of quirky book reviews?
I may the very last one to get here, but I am enjoying the ride! Here's the link to my blog: HPLmeanderings
I don't think this is something I will use but it was a good learning experience.
http://julia-juliam.blogspot.com/2008/11/rss.html
my blog on RSS. Went mainly to newspapers/those not received in our area
http://terriowh.blogspot.com/2008/11/lesson-6.html
I'm not sure I would use this.
Love the YouTube video.
http://labibliotecariahabla.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6.html
RSS feeds are useful to others when a library's web site is continuously updated.
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=6023425082337887251&postID=4407699615359295830
RSS was not new to me; will try Google Reader now. Am not sure I have Bloglines down pat. The YouTube was terrific!! My post is http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=2112913573020694275
Thing #6
WOW that was fun!
http://ghsdawgblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/learns-6-rss.html
Either the project is getting easier or I am catching on. Thing 6 was fun! I think it will be useful as well. http://liziej.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6-rss-and-newsreader.html
This is one of the coolest services available on the internet!
http://tiffanylearns20.blogspot.com/2008/11/rss-feed.html
On the RSS feeds I had some trouble accessing the feeds...at first some looked like jibberish. But I did manage to get a list of feeds. Going back and blogging on past "things" reminds me I have to check those again. One of them is the local paper for where our daughter lives in NC. Kind of fun to see what's going on out there.
Here is my blog comment about RSS
http://baskataloger.blogspot.com/2008/11/flickr.html
My post on Thing #6 can be found at http://erinslearning.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6-rss-feeds.html
Thing 6
How time flies!
My blog post for Thing #6 is at http://raelearns.blogspot.com/2008/11/rss-feeds.html
Whew. I finally got time to move onto thing #6. Here's my post:
http://angelakroeger.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6.html
I prefer Google Reader to Bloglines. My thing #6 post is at http://einekleinemusik.blogspot.com/2008/11/fun-with-rss.html
http://carol-hoorayya.blogspot.com/2008/11/nebraska-learns-20-thing-6.html
I think I will LEARN to like it.
http://jeanie-jd.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6.html
I'm not sure if I will use this or not, but learning about it was interesting.http://marieloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6-rss-and-newsreaders-are-great.html
I can see how RSS technology is very useful and can streamline information. It does help to have the vast amounts of information found out there narrowed down to those I most often visit and like.
http://thelibrarianspeaksout.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6.html
RSS comments of mine are at http://raptorrunn3r.blogspot.com/2008/11/ok-after-having-had-rss-explained-to-me.html
I think it will take time to decide if I like it. Hmmm
Bloglines is really cool.
http://luckilibbi.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-6.html
Thing 6 (and 7):
http://robinslibraryblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-6-and-thing-7-fantastic-world-of.html
I find RSS feeds very useful. Here is my comment.
Did this one out of order. Hope that's okay. I guess I'm still adjusting to how freeform most of this Library 2.0 stuff feels. I'll try RSS for awhile and see how this works out.
I use bloglines, but I do want to check out some of the extra readers that were mentioned in the tutorial.
11:23 AM
Okay sorry, what appeared to be the link we are supposed to use didn't work, here is the URL to my blogpost on thing 6
http://zaijovanthisnthat.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-6-rss-feeds.html
Very cool, very addictive. Now where do I find the time, mostly for the "personal playtime" feeds.
http://bookworm604.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-6.html
I've taken a while to get to RSS feeds, but I will probably not use them any more often than I check my email. I don't get time to get on the computer every day, even though I would like to, so RSS feeds won't save me much time.
My blog about Thing #6 is at: http://kerikreations.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-6-rss-yes-i-did-it.html
Keri
Is there a support group for people addicted to RSS & newsreaders?
http://nebrbookworm99.blogspot.com/2008/12/rss-and-newsreaders.html
This is my second try but read my comments athttp://jojosblog-jojo.blogspot.com/2008/11/rss-feeds.html
Introduction to RSS Feeds http://theantiquarianlibrarian.blogspot.com/2008/10/intoduction-to-rss-feeds.html
I can see where RSS feeds will be a real time saver. I hope mine work!
http://pcbloglog.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-6.html
http://mitzi-mitzismusings.blogspot.com/2008/12/nebraska-learns-20-thing-6.html
Thing # 6 posted at http://leanablue.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-6.html
Thing #6
http://chocolil-librarybooks.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-6_27.html
Thing #6 Could be useful at home for sure! http://nebraskalearnsbksrgr8.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-6.html
A newsreader is a great idea. Now if we could only convince management that we're not wasting time if we're sitting at a computer reading.
http://carla-carla20.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-6-rss-newsreader.html
Well I think I'm caught up on my posts, time will tell!
http://1pigeonracer.blogspot.com/
I'm glad I know how to use RSS I've been wanting to learn how .
My post is athttp://lllearnersblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-6.html
I posted something earlier but now I don't see it. I wonder what "thing" I put it on? Here is my most recent blog:
http://thelibrarianspeaksout.blogspot.com/
My further comments for Thing #6 (today):
http://dmcdnut.blogspot.com/2009/01/no-im-going-to-be-stubborn.html
Now that I have Bloglines set up I'm anxious to start using it more. I'm sure I'll be spending more time checking out the RSS feeds. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I'll have to really selective about the feeds or I'll still be swamped! http://ilikelibraries.blogspot.com/2009/01/rss-and-newsreader-thing-6.html
I succeeded in registering for bloglines and I attached several feeds to my account
I've registered with blog lines and attached some feeds
This goes with last post. Sorry, http://tokendude.blogspot.com/2009/01/bloglines.html
Wow. There were more feeds in that file than I expected. Interesting.
Here's the link
http://milfordlibrary.blogspot.com/2009/01/rss.html
Missed posting this one also. I commented on my blog that I had added our flickr page from the library commission.
quiltingranny-jag.blogspot.com
Post a Comment