For this discovery exercise, participants are asked to select any tool from SEOmoz's Web 2.0 Awards list and explore it. With so many to choose from, it might be handy to first select a category that interests you (like Books or Start Pages) and then simply select a tool to explore.
Discovery Exercise:
- Before selecting a tool you should know there are a few sites on the list that cost. You will want avoid these and select a free tool. Also some of them may require a plug-in or download. If this is a problem for you please avoid those sites. There's 174 winners listed plus a number of honorable mentions so it shouldn't be a problem to find a site that is both free and does not require any downloads.
- Select any site/tool from the list of 2008 Web 2.0 Awards.
- Explore the site you selected.
- Create a post about your discovery. What did you like or dislike about the tool? What were the site’s useful features? Could you see any applications for its use in a library setting?
Web 2.0 – with so much to explore, can you try just one? :)

75 comments:
Who does things in the "original order?"
Here's a Cloud Computing web site that opens lots of additional possibilities. (I got the link from the August 6th "American Libraries Direct.'
Pandora is cool. My blog on it, and its features is at: http://raptorrunn3r.blogspot.com/2008/11/yay-for-pandora.html
This was just too much fun! Each time I finish a "Thing" I tell myself this is the first thing I will come back to when I have a lengthy amount of time. Now, Thing #20 is going to be the first.
If you like to cook or want to learn, check out my blog.
http://vc-vcsblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/web-20-tools.html
Went through the Web 2.0 Awards List and found an O.P. book selling site I had not used before.
The second comment under Thing 20 relates my experience. We've been adding local history related out-of-print titles by searching & buying from abebooks & alibris for several years, but I had not known about biblio.com.
I have spent lots of time today wandering around these sites and could just imagine all the ways the sites could be useful in the library. Check out Tweet Scan or Now Public or Reddit. They were cool.
http://thelibrarianspeaksout.blogspot.com/2008/12/web-tweets-for-christmas.html
Thing #20 was a fun one to do, and is now done!
http://marieloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-20.html
The site "myHeritage" is a WINNER! It was under the GENEALOGY category of the list of 174 winners. In the free version I could build as much or as little of my family tree as I could. Then other family members get to join in & collaborate on building the tree! It's so easy & fun! I'll be sharing this site with all the library patrons that are working on their genealogy.
http://rockinref.blogspot.com/2008/12/web-20-awards.html
And the fun continues! http://carol-hoorayya.blogspot.com/2008/12/nebraska-learns-20-thing-20.html
I really like My Heritage, as mentioned in an earlier comment. Great possibilities for patrons.
http://234kv.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-20-of-23.html
Found several sites that interested me.
http://danaslearning.blogspot.com/
The future is here explore it. http://dawnlearning.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-20-future.html
http://seeryuslibrary.blogspot.com/2008/12/say-hello-to-my-little-friend.html
http://upwardandnonward.blogspot.com/2008/12/web-20.html
My information can be found at http://whippetbooklady.blogspot.com/2009/01/20.html
Another Thing finished. What a delight this was. Libraries could invite patrons to explore the tools on the list.
http://liziej.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20_02.html
Thing #20
http://chocolil-librarybooks.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
My thoughts on Web 2.0.
://lifewithdianne.blogspot.com/2009/01/web-20.html
I had been to this site before and checked out some of the applications. I wanted to find something I had not looked at and discoved Comiqs. Found it fun and possibly useful. My comments: http://prairie-prose.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
http://joyesfirstblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-really-had-fun-going-through-some-of.html
http://nanvac.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20-craigslist-is-one-of-my.html
I looked at recipe videos, and now I'm going home to fix supper! http://lauranloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2009/01/apps.html
Kind of fun to see some different sites that I may not have found myself.
Life is a Picnik....
Picasa is great!
http://kidsrgreat1s.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
I explored MY HERITAGE, a genealogy and family networking app. I tell about it in my blog here:
http://quiltinlibrarylady.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
It has some interesting, even quirky, features I want to explore further when I have the time.
Well, I accidently spent $6 at Myxer (I know we were warned)...but ended up finding Minti.com -a parenting and advice to help communicate with our troubled young adults.
My blog is at http://mrsjustice.blogspot.com
I found some new favorites to bookmark. Biblio.com and ifoods.tv I especially liked. You can read my comments at: http://nixnoos-caseydinah.blogspot.com/2009/1/thing-20.html
I looked at several top sites. Spent a lot of time looking. Check out what I think on my blog spot.
librarianbrenda.blogspot.com
Discovering Web 2.0 tools: I explored the Spanish Pod
My blog: http://homerhounddog.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20-discovering-web-20-tools.html
Some thoughts about Pandora.
I explored Linkscape. See my blog
at: http://aqlibrarynews.blogspot.com/2009/01/linkscape.html
Ann
I love Pandora but I will pass on virtual desktop application G.ho.st Virtual Computer. http://dancingcranefarm.blogspot.com/2009/01/virtually-confused.html
Thing #20 Lots of information! I liked craigslist for the vast amount of info that I think will be useful at the library.
http://willie-challenger08.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-looked-at-last.html
Many sites to explore at some point.
Here's my blog entry.
No way could I try just one. Good thing I am a night owl. Some really good stuff that I had never tried before. You egg us on to bigger and better things.
http://judyg-oldlibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/01/oh-boy-another-three-hour-evening-spent.html
Really enjoyed this exercise!!http://t-beyondthemargin.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
It's a miracle people. I am actually doing an exercise on the week is is scheduled to be done! I am caught up! Whoo Hoo. Click here to read my thoughts on the 2.0 tools.
Oh the possibilites. I really enjoyed looking at the sites. Read my blog about craigslist.
I am actually caught up too! My blog for Thing #20 can be found at: http://leanablue.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
So many helpful sites. I found a few health ones that have interesting implications.
http://kitschylib.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
Here are my thoughts on Thing 20
http://nancysos.blogspot.com/
http://melniel.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
Had fun with this one. So far, the only "thing" I haven't been successful or happy with is delicious.
I agree with previous comments about the MyHeritage site! Very user friendly! See more thoughts at http://kathysbookshelf.blogspot.com
I looked at My Heritage and Biblio.com. I will definitely explore these further and look at some of the others when I have more time.
See my blog at
http://lgweb20.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
For cooks only! (Maybe for those who like to eat too).
http://csweb2-cs.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
Thing #20 was a real eye opener. I had difficulty realizing that there are so many opportunities out there in the Web 2.0 world. Here is my blog URL: http://lakeverna.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20-discovering-web-20-tools.html
I keep going back and looking at more winners.
http://nelearns2.blogspot.com/2009/01/web-20-tools.html
Farecast is an interesting travel tool. http://einekleinemusik.blogspot.com/2009/01/farecast.html
Here is my post. I explored myheritage.com.
http://tiffanylearns20.blogspot.com/2009/01/19-explore-web-20.html
Loved the YouTube library carts show and chose one to embed.
Because I am doing this on Inauguration Day 2009 lots of videos feature older Barack Obama shows (close to 10 AM central) but tomorrow morning I expect inauguration day festivities to be featured.
http://suesthing.blogspot.com/
Although the language tools are really pay sites, I might sign up for Mango or SpanishPod. Here are my comments
There are so many to choose from! My blog post is at:http://raelearns.blogspot.com/2009/01/20-web-20-tools.html
Wikispaces look like an attractive tool for school libraries. View my thoughts at
http://bookmobiling.blogspot.com/2009/01/wikispaces-look-great-for-school.html
I think this was among my favorite activities. So many times, we do not find these unless someone tells us about them or we stumble by accident.
http://caseysteachingblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/web-20-awards.html
I looked at the top three music sites and blogged about Last FM:
http://musicmaam.blogspot.com/2009/01/last-fm-final-frontier.html
I found FixYa and Pipes. More info.-http://afanadorsklr.blogspot.com
ooppss!!I didn't want to change to anonymous
This lesson has a lot of possibilities for further exploration. Definitely one lesson I'll use a lot more. Here's my blog:
http://kerikreations.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
Yes, this is my real Web 2.0 comment: Grouping, categorizing, organizing--these are librarian-like activities. I really appreciated the subject headings.
http://wordsbycheryl.blogspot.com/
Lots of cool stuff to look at. Fixya was particularly interesting to me!
Found several Web 2.0 tools I'll revisit later when I have more time. Lots of cool stuff. See which ones I was most impressed with.
See what you can do with Picnik, a free photo editing software at:
http://ilikelibraries.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing20-web2-tools-picnik.html
Thing 20 really is a Pandora's Box.
My blog post is at:
http://lllearnersblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
I played with picnik because I seem to be always in search of an easy to use photo editor. This one seems to interact fairly well with Flickr, although it took me 3 blog posts to actually show you what I did. So start here and then look at blog entries 20a & 20, too!
I played with G.ho.st I really liked this tool. Read my blog to find out more or just go to the website because it's pretty simple to use.
http://g.ho.st/?language=en
http://jeanslearning20.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
Web Dev is exactly what I wanted to discover!
http://bookmystique.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20-2008-web-20-awards.html
I found the "My Heritage" website quite fun and our family is now using it for my husband's family tree info.
www.kathysings.blogspot.com
My post on Thing #20 - Discovering Web 2.0 tools can be found at:
http://dmcdnut.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20-web-20-award-sites.html
Swivel! It's Graphtastic!
http://milfordlibrary.blogspot.com/2009/01/oooooneat.html
It was hard to quit playing!
http://nebraskalearnsbksrgr8.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html
I found a seach tool for books called Biblio.com. This is kind of like Barnes&Nobles website except it seems to have a better search engine and the shipping is cheaper too!!
1pigeonracer.blogspot.com/
I visited Doof and played around there for a bit. Then I blogged:
http://thecoreysthoughts.blogspot.com/
I found a great site to do with cooking. My blog on it is at:
http://vickiatsouth.blogspot.com
I considered several sites, but finally gave the music-player Pandora a try. Here's my blog about it.
Post a Comment