Monday, October 6, 2008

Thing #2: Lifelong Learning


As we embark on this online learning and discovery journey we will start by reviewing a few habits that can assist us in becoming better lifelong learners. The Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County has put together a list of habits for lifelong learning. The list and accompanying tutorial is titled 7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners. This tutorial will provide us with a refresher on what it means to be a lifelong learner. As you watch the tutorial think about how these habits relate to your own life.

For this exercise you will watch the 7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners tutorial. It's approximately 14 minutes long. This tutorial includes audio so it would be helpful to have headphones or speakers attached to your computer. If you cannot hear the audio the text of the presentation is also made available.

Discovery Exercise:

  1. During the tutorial the presenter will pause so you can download two handouts. You may wish to use the following links to download them before you start the tutorial. (Some folks have encountered problems downloading the files from within the presentation.)
    - Learning Contract
    - 7 1/2 Habits

  2. As you watch and listen, write down which habits among the 7 & 1/2 that is easiest for you and which is hardest. You will use your personal blog (which you will set up next) to post your thoughts about lifelong learning.

  3. View the 7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners tutorial.
Have fun! It's never too late to become a lifelong learner.

80 comments:

Pam soreide said...

Well, there are a lot of goals in my life right now. I am looking forward to making progress. http://soreidefamily.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-1.html

Anonymous said...

My hardest habit will be to play. I take life too seriously! The easiest habit will be to creat my learning toolbox.

NancyS said...

The easiest for me will be setting my goal!!

jeanette said...

I have lots of goals right now as I am getting ready to retire and I don't want to leave Dianne with lots of unfinished STUFF. And I never have trouble finding time to play.

Cranefarm said...

My hardest thing is turning problems into challenges, rather than viewing them as big blocking points. My first goal will be using this class to share pictures as well as text on a blog. I just came back from an awesome vacation!

Anonymous said...

So I begin Nebrask Learns 2.0. I'm looking forward to some new things and touching up some old skills.

Dianne said...

My hardest habit will be to view problems as challenges. The easies will be to accept responsibility for learning.

madlibr said...

Madison Library's Blog has been created. We are at http://madlibr.blogspot.com
I am really excited to start this!

Anonymous said...

The Goals are not hard to find its finding the time to work at them. I need to be more task oriented

Anonymous said...

I have four goals:
1. Be able to download audio books and play them on an MP3.
2. Learn how to pod cast.
3. Purchase and use a digital camera to take pictures of equipment.
4. Set up website to post equipment for sale.

My hardest goal will be to accomplish Habit #5, of creating my own toolbox.

Scout said...

Time, time, time, when will it be on my side? Time is an obstacle for me.
My blog url is: http://jemdillandme.blogspot.com/

Carole Matthews said...

My hardest thing so far is getting the video to download on my machine. Help!

Allana said...

Hi Ladyhawk, I’m sorry to read that you are having problems. The video is actually one that you can watch online. In order to watch it you will need to have the Adobe Flash Player installed. You can find more information about it at:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/

If that doesn’t help I may need to get more information from your. It would be helpful for me to know exactly what is happening when you try to view the video and what error messages, if any, you are getting. Also it would be helpful to know more about the computer and software you are using.
Feel free to leave additional comments here or if you’d like to talk to me directly you can email me or call 800-307-2665 and ask for Allana.

Good Luck!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I'm going to have to limit my goals or somebody's going to have to invent clocks & calendars with more time! The playing I have down pat, & maybe that's part of why I need more time. Of course everything I do is so time consuming--reading, trying to keep the library ship-shape, becoming better at digital scrapbooking, piecing quilts, learning to use my new quilting machine, doing genealogy plus all the million & one things that constitute life. I really NEED a couple clones. :)---Linda

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of image generators and am excited to learn how to use them. I'd love to upload videos to YouTube but my digital camera doesn't have video capabilities.

Anonymous said...

I see time as a big obstacle. Not just with Library 2.0 but with some of my other lifelong learning goals like learning Spanish, figuring out our new video camera, and learning to knit. The 7 habits were a good reminder for me.

Madame Librarian said...

I find it interesting that they want you to become a *highly* successful lifelong learner; I would be satisfied with just being successful!

A-one a-two a-one two three four said...

My learning goal is to explore and see where my learning takes me. I don't know where it will be, but I'll learn lots and lots of things I never though I'd learn.

Anonymous said...

Setting goals have never been my strong suit, at least not on paper or text.
I suppose I've just always gone off my ambition, interests, hobbies, dreams, and creativeness.
So, yes, old habits do die hard, so I'll see how far this takes me in learning change, or a new way.
I can say that time is a major factor.

librarylady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
librarylady said...

I'm glad play is on the list - I'm trying to look at this blogging as play and my mistakes as a chance for a do-over.

lgweb2.0 said...

I have alot of goals - the main one right now is to complete this!

Karla said...

Setting the goal is the easiest thing to do, now setting aside the time to reach that goal is my challenge. I look forward to the challenge.

Sarah J said...

My main goal is to finish each task in a timely manner. I'm a procrastinator by nature. I want to be able to keep up with everyone else.

Pam@Hastings said...

Play is the hard one! We all get soooo busy and just want to get it done that we forget the joy of play and discovery.

nas said...

Second try.

Rita said...

Got to wondering if we needed to post a comment on each "Thing." So I'm backtracking. After watching the "7 1/2 Habits" tutorial, the easiest habit for me will be beginning with the end in mind. But the hardest habit will probably be having confidence in myself as a competent, effective learner.

TerriOWH said...

Main goal is to conquer my fear of the computer. I'm comfortable working with programs I use for the library, but haven't tried to take it to the next level with communications

Casey's Blog said...

It seems that once someone can turn problems into challenges, the barriers to moving forward begin to drop.

http://caseysteachingblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/7-habits.html

Bob said...

Embarking on the
journey of discovery..

willie said...

some progress, thanks to much help

Kids R Great said...

I'm hoping to spend more time thinking about this stuff after the NLA Conference!

JoyeLee said...

I have always liked learning new things but when it comes to technology it is easy for me to be stuck in a rut. Why do it differently if the old way works. That will be the hardest for me but the easiest will be taking responsibility for learning.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am always reading for a challenge, and learning is always a challenge, and I am not to old to learn. Looking forward to it.
http://helpmelearnnow.blogspot.com

JoyeLee said...

Having a hobby or taking time to play is very importanthttp://joyesfirstblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-want-to-take-more-time-to-play-i-have.html.

Anonymous said...

http://kitschylib.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-2.html

vbeck said...

http://nelearns2.blogspot.com/2008/10/7-habits-of-highly-successful-lifelong.html

The hardest habit for me is actually setting the goal with a finite end or accomplishment.

Anne said...

I have many things on my plate right now that clamor for my attention and leave me without much time. Consequently I have not allowed myself time to play. In my library world, my obstacles seem to be time constraints and interruptions. Since I can so easily identify obstacles to my taking on any new things, I think I can correct them and find myself using my time in more eficient ways. Maybe sometimes I will just have to shut the door :-)

Sarah Olivia said...

Looking forward to meeting the main goal that I've set!

Does It Even Matter? said...

I love learning new things! My challenge is living long enough to get to a fractioin of all the things I'm interested in. I realized this when I was in college working on an education degree and there wasn't enough time (or Money) to take the art and music classes I thought would be great. Or, to read all the books that would be worth while.

Mary said...

One step at a time!

Karin Dalziel said...

Interesting tutorial. I found the combination off text and reading a little off putting, but that might be because I'm a quick reader. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Most of my to do list is goal oriented, but now I have an organized form with targeted dates. Ready to continue Learns 2.0 goal now that conference is over. First goal is to set up the blog.

Does It Even Matter? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathysings said...

Thing 2--The 7 1/2 Habits:
I like habit #3. Problems are only challenges to workout. Not really problems at all. A problem seems harder to solve. A challenge can even be fun!

http://kathysings.blogspot.com

JUDYG said...

Now that I have decided the biggest obstacle is my own habits - I WILL make the time and find the discipline to enjoy the experience. I hope to find a lot of enjoyable tools, tricks and toys in the next weeks.

JuliaM said...

I am not very good at setting goals and following through with them. I will try to work on that.

Linda said...

The most successful thing I do is to keep my mind open to new things. I'm always exciting to learn something new.

The most difficult thing I do is to keep my mind open to new things, because, sometimes I get too flooded with large amounts of new things, which I can't stay too long on.

Brenda2.0 said...

wow thanks Susan for reading my blog and making a comment. I now have done 5 things YEA!! I am starting to think blogging is fun and a great learning tool. So keep of the good work everyone. Five brownie points to all. even though the points don't matter.

Sandy said...

Very interesting! I also think the goals are easy to set but for me they are extrememly hard to keep. I have the best intentions but time, prioritizing and interruptions get in the way too often.

Does It Even Matter? said...

Lifelong learning is the only way to live.

books4york said...

The first of the 7 1/2 steps says "Begin with the end in mind." But isn't it equally valid to just plunge in blindly?
Take this self-paced exercise for example. How many of us have an end in mind other than "get to Thing 23. And what does it say about "end."

This rumination is being composed in a room that has a baby monitor running where we can hear our 6-day-old granddaughter. What will her world be like when she's the age we are now?

What will she want to know that we have neglected to record for her in a way that she can easily recover it?

This quotation was the result of clicking on the first left-hand link displayed in today's bartleby, which featured Respectfully Quoted, compiled by the Congressional Research Service.

bookworm604 said...

I finally had to use a public internet (luckily not a busy time) to find a computer that had sound. The staff internets with sound were all in use. I set up my blog (twice) and looked at several lessons ahead before finding the time to go back and do this one.

Rae S. said...

The tutorial was very encouraging and a nice incentive to keep learning new things. My hardest habit will be viewing problems as challenges.

Kelly said...

Deciding on a goal is where I am getting stuck here. I'd like the learning 2.0 goal to be work related. I already have lists of goals for work and goals for home, so I'm going to have to think on this for a while.

Anonymous said...

Messed up on the first posting-2nd try on Life habits
http://csweb2cs.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Trying again on Life Habits

http://csweb2-cs.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-2.html

Anonymous said...

Time will be my biggest obstacle. I'm anxious to learn and use technology so I can help others in my community. My other goal is to catch up with everyone else.

Kathryn said...

The easy part for me is the creating a toolbox. The tough part is beginning with an end in mind.

Dress Up & Dinosaurs said...

I think the easiest thing for me is creating my own learning toolbox. The hardest is viewing my problems as challenges. Usually when I face challenges, I see them as a crisis and don't want to think about learning anything.

bksrgr8 said...

The easiest for me is setting the goal. Having the confidence is the hardest...oh...and time!

Anonymous said...

Making goals will be easiest. Creating a toolbox will probably be the most difficult. I am not great with details!

lizzieJ said...

Making goals will be easiest. Making a toolbox will be more difficult.

Anonymous said...

It will be easiest for me to view problems as a challenge, but I will have more problems with creating my own toolbox and beginning with the end in mind.

Loves 2 Read said...

The easiest habit for me will be #3 - "View problems as challenges". The most difficult will be #7 - "Teach/mentor others".

Sue's blog said...

This was wonderful information and will be a great way for me to get started because it made me thing about my goals.

kathy the librarian said...

This seems really crazy...it is a lifelong learning experience. When I go to post it tells me I have an incorrect password....yet I look later and find that I have actually posted twice. Sometimes technology boggles my brain!!!

Sue's blog said...

RSS feed is pretty interesting. I just need to try it for awhile to see how it can be used.
http://whippetbooklady.blogspot.com/2008/11/rss-feed.html

Loves 2 Read said...

I finished Thing #2. My post can be found at http://erinslearning.blogspot.com/2008/11/75-habits.html

Marie said...

I feel like I'm learning a lot.
http://marieloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2008/11/.html

leanablue said...

I enjoyed the tutorial. The hardest thing for me to do was to find 14 minutes without interruptions to watch it.

books4york said...

Went back to re-read my first Thing 2 comment, to see if any clearly definable goals for this exercise (L2NE) have emerged.
The Library Board looked at the Kilgore 4 U blog during the Nov. 18th meeting. They asked some probing questions about the time involvement, and made some concrete suggestions on what to include. They see it as a library promotion / general communication piece.
So in terms of goals for the library director, completion of these exercises, analysis of which are relevant for the library's needs, and successful implementation should address some of the Library Board's perception that this library needs more "public presence."
That seems congruent with the major focus that evolved in Library Camp Nebraska 2008.

Carol E said...

http://carol-hoorayya.blogspot.com/2008/11/nebraska-learns-20-thing-3.html

chocolil said...

Time is my biggest concern right now. And, also to "play".

Lisa said...

WOW! We all have so many goals and not enough time for them all. I shall have prioritize mine.

My personal goal is to eat healthier foods and learn how to fix healthier meals.

My hardest habit to fit in is 7 1/2which is find time to play.

Dawn said...

Some how I do not see my post here so better late than never!
http://dawnlearning.blogspot.com/2008/10/habit-7-12.html

Pigeon Racing Fool said...

I already did this and didn't realize I had to post here besides posting on my blog.

CrimGrayCoug said...

I believe that with any learning attitude is key. Like in The Little Engine That Could, having that belief that you can do something is the greatest momentum you can have.

Anonymous said...

The term Lifelong Learning gives legitimacy to those of us who keep branching into other skills.