Monday, January 5, 2009

Thing #19: Apps, They're not just for desktops any more

The availability and use of web-based productivity applications (think word processing and spreadsheets) has exploded over the past few years and for good reasons! These powerful tools provide users with the ability to create and share documents over the Internet without the need to install desktop applications.

Some experts speculate that this emerging trend may mean the death of Microsoft Office and other software-based productivity tools. Others think web-based applications have their place, but not in the office. But no matter which side of the office suite platform you side with, on this both sides seem to agree: web-based apps have their place.

One major benefit to web-based applications is that they eliminate the need to worry about different software versions or file types as you email documents or move from PC to PC. Another bonus is that they easily accommodate collaboration by allowing multiple users to edit the same file (with versioning) and provide users the ability to easily save and convert documents as multiple file types (including HTML and PDF). And, you can even use many of these tools, such as Zoho Writer and Google Docs, to author and publish posts to your blog. It’s this type of integration with other web 2.0 tools that also makes web-based apps so appealing.

For this discovery exercise, you are asked to take a look at a web-based word processing tool such as Zoho Writer or Google Docs, create a simple document, and then post an entry to your blog about the experience. (If you're up to the challenge, compose your entry in Zoho Writer or Google Docs and then publish it to your blog!)

With web-based applications like Zoho Writer and Google Docs, the possibilities are endless!

Discovery Resources:

A short list of web-based productivity applications (authored in Google Docs and published on the web).

Discovery Exercise:

  1. Create a free account for yourself in Zoho Writer or Google Docs. (Hint: You should be able to sign in to Google Docs using the same Google Account information you use to sign in to Blogger!)
  2. Explore the site and create a few test documents, trying out various features.
  3. Create a blog post discussing your discoveries.

BTW: Here’s a document (viewable as a webpage) I mocked up in Zoho about some of the Zoho features I found beneficial.

80 comments:

raptorrunner said...

Web-Based Aps, are they reliable? My blog: http://raptorrunn3r.blogspot.com/2008/11/well-now-im-writing-about-using-google.html

vc said...

Apps. will be very useful to me at the library. I can think of many times in the past when using Google Docs would have been beneficial.

http://vc-vcsblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-19-apps.html

Madame Bonbon said...

blog entry

Marie said...

Thing #19 is finished. Next up is #20

.http://marieloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-19.html

Anne said...

Apps. will be very useful for me both in the library and with an outside organization I work with. The fact that I can reduce the volume of emails will be really great and coordinating everyone on my committee will save tons of time.

http://thelibrarianspeaksout.blogspot.com/2008/12/see-pile-of-stuff-in-picture-here-that.html

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

The future of applications as we know them will be ever changing. The here and now well you can check it out here's my blog
http://dawnlearning.blogspot.com/2008/12/should-they-still-be-desk-tops-thing-19.html

Rita said...

I like these web-based productivity applications. I also like Susan's comment about how these apps allow you not to have to put everything on a thumb drive. I just need to play around with more of these apps. But so far, I like what I see.

http://rockinref.blogspot.com/2008/12/grant-application.html

Carol E said...

This whole process is becoming less forboding. I am beginning to enjoy (that "play" part of the 71/2 Habits) investigating new applications. http://carol-hoorayya.blogspot.com/2008/12/nebraska-learns-20-thing-19.html

Dana said...

I enjoyed zoho writer!!

http://danaslearning.blogspot.com/

kv@lcl said...

Zoho is really cool!

http://234kv.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-19-of-23.html

Sky said...

http://seeryuslibrary.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-19-apps.html

~Sky

Cranefarm said...

Google Docs is great except you can't upload DOCX (office 2007). http://dancingcranefarm.blogspot.com/2008/12/google-documents.html

Sarah Olivia said...

We already utilize Google Docs for our work schedules...but I didn't realize the potential for storing my own documents and spreadsheets. What a great resource!

http://mrsjustice.blogspot.com

Dianne said...

http://lifewithdianne.blogspot.com/2008/12/google-docszoho.html

lizzieJ said...

I did it!!!! I published my google doc to my blog!!!! This is great.
http://liziej.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-20.html

Anonymous said...

This is another great tool I will be able to use. Read my blog at:
http://aqlibrarynews.blogspot.com/2009/01/alternative-to-ms-word.html

Ann

Carole Matthews said...

This worked so easy publishing from Zoho to my blog.http://prairie-prose.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-18.html

JoyeLee said...

http://joyesfirstblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/web-based-documents-would-be-useful-if.html

Sarah J said...

Some very interesting and useful apps. to look at.

books4york said...

Have tried google/docs in the past; I never seem to remember to follow up with them since they are a couple of steps removed from my usual work flow.

That & google insists my browser is not up to snuff even though it fits in their grid of "this will handle docs." -- Am using google/sites to rebuild a collector club web site.

This Basic Online Tools for Librarians outline from Roy Degler (an Office 2.0 guru) is challenging.

chocolil said...

Thing #19

http://chocolil-librarybooks.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19.html

Kids R Great said...

http://kidsrgreat1s.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19.html

I left 1 blank line between paragraphs, but when I published it in my blog there was a wide gap between paragraphs--not sure why.

NixNoos said...

This was a very interesting and useful lesson. View my blog at http://nixnoos-caseydinah.blogspot.com/2009/1/thing-19.html

pejorg2000 said...

Google Docs pros and cons - http://troglodyte-librarian.blogspot.com/2009/01/ok-im-composing-this-post-in-google.html

Beverly said...

I really liked this one. There were so many templates. I also created a form just to try it out. So go to My Blog about Web applications and fill out my form for fun.

njv@dml said...

http://nanvac.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19-i-like-web-based-apps.html

Kathryn said...

Success! Read about my ability to compose in Google Docs and share on my blog here.

NancyS said...

This was a pretty neat app! See my blog http://nancysos.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Thing #19 blog:
http://homerhounddog.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19-apps.html

lauran said...

This "thing" was really quick and easy to explore .... http://lauranloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2009/01/apps.html

lauran said...

The link to my blog on this thing doesn't work anymore. While posting a comment on the Web 2.0 thing I got an error message -- I think the new post got autosaved over the previous post???? Can that happen??

Anonymous said...

http://melniel.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19.html

I can see many uses for this--both for libraries and for personal things as well.

vbeck said...

I created my blog post in google docs. I had forgotten to change the title for the post. I easily changed the title in google docs and reposted to my blog.
http://nelearns2.blogspot.com/2009/01/untitled.html

T said...

My favorite part of this was posting my zoho doc to my blog. Had to try a couple times to get it to look right. http://t-beyondthemargin.blogspot.com/2009/01/zoho-writer_08.html

kathy the librarian said...

Found Google Docs very user friendly. See my blog at
http://kathysbookshelf.blogspot.com

lgweb2.0 said...

I found several applications that I would like to try in the future-will be great to have a couple of my home docs available when I'm traveling, etc. Would be interesting to try sharing an itinerary with someone and both posting to it...
http://lgweb20.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19.html

leanablue said...

I liked experimenting with Apps!
http://leanablue.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19.html

MM said...

Regular user of Google Docs.
I think these changes in software are very exciting.

http://kitschylib.blogspot.com/2009/01/untitled.html

Mary said...

It is amazing how many applications there are on Google Docs!

Kids R Great said...

Venting frustration!

http://kidsrgreat1s.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19-presentation_09.html

Kids R Great said...

OK, I tried Googledocs on a different computer and it worked OK. What is wrong with my computer?!

http://kidsrgreat1s.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19-presentation-once-again.html

Brenda2.0 said...

wow! Last week I was going to purchase some books and left the list at the library. If I would have put the list on google docs I could have easily access the list. Very Cool

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Online apps have a certain convenience for the user but I have a few questions & reservations.

http://quiltinlibrarylady.blogspot.com/2009/01/untitled.html

I also wonder about privacy. How hard or easy will it be for hackers to access our material?

Bookworm99 said...

Apps blog:

http://nebrbookworm99.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19-apps.html

JUDYG said...

I'm trying. Used both apps, but did not suceed in posting my documents to my blog. DARN! Must need some tutoring. . .

http://judyg-oldlibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/01/shoot-i-tried-and-played-with-both.html

CS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
willie said...

http://willie-challenger08.blogspot.com/2009/01/evidently-linking-my-googledoc-form-to.html
The accessible from anywhere feature is good.

Just Robin said...

So, the further I get in these 23 things, the more I realize I do not know. I posted my Thing 19 blog from Google Docs and the only problem I encountered was that when I put a double space between something it make it about 6 double spaces. Otherwise, yay!

lakeveran said...

I can see the end is in site. Only 4 more to go.
I created a couple of document in google then posted my feedback. You can go here to see what I said.
http://lakeverna.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19-online-applications-like.html

nas said...

I created documents, printed them and posted a link to my blog from Zoho--still finding my way around but seems pretty easy to use.
http://suesthing.blogspot.com/

A-one a-two a-one two three four said...

Apps - great for sharing. http://einekleinemusik.blogspot.com/2009/01/apps.html

Pam@Hastings said...

Here's a trio of blog entries, one created with Zoho, one with Google dosc and one directly in the blog. I see lots of potential with these sharing apps.

clwydshire said...

I have used Google documents both for personal use and through the library's account for schedules, and in working through this "thing" I found that Zoho is a lot better for personal use than Google. My blog posting is shorter than this comment.

lauran said...

Here's my second try at commenting on this "thing." http://lauranloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2009/01/apps-re-do.html

Kathysings said...

Zoho Writer is really useful and would have been great to have available years ago.

www.kathysings.blogspot.com

Dan Nieman said...

I really enjoyed this task. I have used Adobe Acrobat's word processing program. I found that GoogleDocs is easier and I don't have to remember any more passwords.
http://theantiquarianlibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19-apps.html

Rae S. said...

Web Apps are very convenient. My blog post is at: http://raelearns.blogspot.com/2009/01/19-web-apps.html

Tiffany said...

It's a neat service, though I think I prefer the old Microsoft Office programs.

http://tiffanylearns20.blogspot.com/2009/01/19-applications.html

Anj said...

Google Docs rocks! But I still have a few quibbles.

keri_from_alma said...

I liked this - see my comments in my blog at:
http://kerikreations.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19.html

Hawkeyebeth said...

My real life experiences with Google Docs can be seen at
http://bookmobiling.blogspot.com/2009/01/google-may-take-over-world.html

Casey's Blog said...

Nice! I keep learning new things.

http://caseysteachingblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/applications.html

Madame Librarian said...

I really like Google Docs and use them daily. Here is my blog:

http://musicmaam.blogspot.com/2009/01/zoho-google-docs-are-here-to-stay.html

Luz said...

I opened an account with GoogleDocs. It's very easy to use, and very similar to microsoft programs.
http://afanadorsklr.blogspot.com

L L Learner said...

My Thing 19 post is as http://lllearnersblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19-google-docs.html

Cheryl said...

http://wordsbycheryl.blogspot.com/
Google and Zoho.... What a wonderful way to save on software.

CS said...

Thing 19

See a slide of my favorite hobby-My China Painting Portfolio at

http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=3361236612371953942&postID=6839182872131253513

CS said...

Thing 19

See a slide show of my favorite hobby-My China Painting Portfolio at

http://csweb2-cs.blogspot.com/

Jean said...

Yes I use Google Docs I think it's a great tool and makes sharing files so much easier.

http://jeanslearning20.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19.html

Library Learner said...

Google Docs had some easy to use features that I like. I created a document and published it to my blog, but now I can't change the formating to get it right aligned. Read about some of the cool features at:

http://ilikelibraries.blogspot.com/2009/01/copy-of-untitled.html

D. said...

Google Docs are fantastic! My two comments on Thing #19 are here:

http://dmcdnut.blogspot.com/2009/01/google-docs-thing-19-1st-post.html

&

http://dmcdnut.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19-google-docs-blog-2.html

Does It Even Matter? said...

I like being able to share documents with my husband in which both of us can make changes from anywhere.
The obvious downside is that the more private, public and business information relies on technology to communicate, the worse any breakdown of that technology is going to mess us up.

http://bookmystique.blogspot.com/2008/12/thing-19_15.html

bksrgr8 said...

I will be using this one!
http://nebraskalearnsbksrgr8.blogspot.com/2009/01/thing-19.html

Kathysings said...

I thought this was really a great learning experience for myself. My personal favorites will be Myheritage, googledocs, library thing, zohowriter, and bloglines for RSS feeds. I am so happy I learned more to help customers.

www.kathysings.blogspot.com

Operations said...

The post to blog feature Google Docs has is neat but a little buggy. Seems like an idea that needs a little more time to mature.

http://milfordlibrary.blogspot.com/2009/01/untitled.html

AND

http://milfordlibrary.blogspot.com/2009/01/ill-have-to-try-zoho.html

Pigeon Racing Fool said...

This is almost like using MSWord except that the hard drive you save your documents to is on the web under GoogleDocs.

1pigeonracer.blogspot.com

TheCorey said...

At my library, we use Googledoc spreadsheets to do the schedules. I blogged about my experiences with it:

http://thecoreysthoughts.blogspot.com/

Vicki's blog said...

I enjoyed zoho writer.

Anonymous said...

This was interesting. The supervisors use this to create schedules and I enjoyed getting my chance to play with this.

My blog about this experience.