Monday, October 13, 2008

Thing #3: Grab yourself a blog in 3 steps

Now that you’ve done some exploring around this website and understand how this program will work, it’s time to setup your very own personal blog to begin recording your thoughts, discoveries and exercises. For this program, we recommend that you use Blogger*, a popular free online blog hosting service that is extremely easy to use.

Creating a blog using Blogger takes just three steps:

  1. Create an account (view screenshot)
  2. Name your blog (view screenshot)
  3. Select your template (view screenshot)
Once you’ve created your blog, here are two important things to know:
  • To add posts: The maintenance interface that you will use to add posts, edit or change the step-up your blog is accessed online at http://www.blogger.com/ Be sure to write down your login and password.
  • To view your blog: Your blog address is http://(xxxx).blogspot.com, (xxxx)=the unique identifier you entered in Step 2. Be sure to also write down your blog address.
If you run into problems or would like more information about blogs and using Blogger here are some discovery resources you can use:
OK -- Now, it’s your turn...

Discovery Exercise:
  1. Setup a blog for yourself through Blogger.

  2. Add a test post or two.

    Note: Use one of your test posts to create an entry about the 7 and 1/2 lifelong learning habits. Which one might be easiest for you and hardest for you & why?

  3. IMPORTANT NOTE: How you choose to identify yourself on your blog is your choice. You can blog under a screen name, anonymously, or as yourself. However, in order to qualify for the prize drawings and CE credit, you will need to identify yourself and your blog URL to Allana, Christa, Michael or Susan.

  4. Have fun!!!!
* Use of Blogger is only a recommendation. If there is another blog hosting site that you are more comfortable with, please feel free to use it.

83 comments:

Pam soreide said...

Three posts, three comments, in a half hour. I think I can do this :-)

NancyS said...

It's fun so far!! Hope it doesn't get scarry!

Anonymous said...

This is pretty easy! Am inpressed!

Sky said...

I've got my blog all set up!

Anonymous said...

I have my blog set up. I hope I can do this!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

OK, have the blog all set up. Wow, that's three things already.

Michael Sauers said...

We've got Blogger ribbons for your NLA/NEMA badge! Just stop by the NLC booth and pick one up while supplies last.

kv@lcl said...

Blog. Check!

Anonymous said...

It's easy. My lifelong learning post is at http://einekleinemusik.blogspot.com/2008/10/lifelong-learning.html

Madame Librarian said...

To blog or not to blog; that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them. I will attempt to blog once more ...

Anonymous said...

never done this kind of thing before kind of scary but one step at a time

Sarah J said...

I now have a blog, but I still don't know what to do with it.
go to Sarah's blog

Cranefarm said...

I've added two more posts to my blog. Check it out at http://dancingcranefarm.blogspot.com/

Pam@Hastings said...

Since I didn't get my link right on the #4 post, I'm going to try here.
Jump to HPLmeanderings

nas said...

Three giant steps!!!

Rita said...

I think I'm getting the hang of this blogging.

Casey's Blog said...

I agree with the earlier comment by Rita. Blogging does get easier. It makes sense to have students write as much as possible, it becomes easier.

http://caseysteachingblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/creating-blogs.html

Bob said...

Exploring...
time to head out onto
the information highway.

willie said...

re-found the blog

Kids R Great said...

I've got a blog--now just have to figure out what to do with it!

JoyeLee said...

I have my blog setup. Now I am ready to keep learning.

JoyeLee said...

http://joyesfirstblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-have-always-considered-myself-life.html

Vicki Densberger said...

Vicki Densberger I have my blog set up and am ready to learn more about blogs. It wasn't has hard as I thought.

Anonymous said...

That was easy..
http://kitschylib.blogspot.com/2008/10/thing-3.html

vbeck said...

I already had a google account. So, setting up the blog was a snap. Thanks for the push to do it!

Anne said...

I think I am up and running--so far so good. PS I think Madam Librarian's comment is great.

Sarah Olivia said...

On my way...hope I am more successful blogging here than I am on social networking sites. :)

Here it is: http://mrsjustice.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend everyone!

Does It Even Matter? said...

Check: blog created

Mary said...

#3 This is getting better!

books4york said...

As I understand this, we'll each end up with a comment for each thing?

So a note in this post references "thing 3."

Susan said...

In response to books4york's question - yes. From now on you will be doing a separate blog post for each Thing. You will then return to the Nebraska Learns 2.0 blog and post a comment to that Thing's entry. As part of your comment you are asked to include the permalink URL to your own blog post on the Thing.

Karin Dalziel said...

My post is at: http://www.nirak.net/2008/10/21/nebraska-learns-20-kick-off-post/

Therese said...

yay for blogs!

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

Does It Even Matter? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathysings said...

Thing 3--Blogging is fun
This is my first blog. It is easy to make a blog with the templates on this site. I am enjoying this.
My blog is found at
http://kathysings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Learning is so awesome. I rambled on in my blog that I created about Play being the hardest of the 7 1/2 habits for me. And the easiest will be to view problems as challenges, and to embrace technology as our friend.

JUDYG said...

Now that my blog is active again (I had to look up the URL) I guess I am ready to move on. My link is http://judyg-oldlibrarian.blogspot.com

JuliaM said...

I didn't know blogging would be this easy or fun.

Vickie said...

Wow! It seems easy, we will see if my "Brain" can handle all this imput

Linda said...

Ok, I think I'm heading right along. I'll find out soon enough if something is not just so.

Linda said...

oh yes, a picture to add.

Sandy said...

I am still trying to master the permalink part of this blogging. Not sure what I am doing??

Does It Even Matter? said...

Now, after working my way through the challenge of getting a URL name, I am ready to move on to Thing #4. I hope . . .`

Just Robin said...

Ok! Blog is up!

http://robinslibraryblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/nebraska-20-here-we-go.html

Mary said...

http://mary-practicing.blogspot.com/
Here you go

bookworm604 said...

I tried to post last night, but it is lost in netherspace. I get to redo Thing 3 over and over. First I try to get a blogspot and don't post a comment but go straight to my profile. My first attempt is now a dead blogspot, it is out there but nobody can post to it. So I had to create a new one.

Rae S. said...

My blog is up. The URL is http://raelearns.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

Okay, I'm using my personal blog for this project and here is the the blog URL: http://zaijovanthisnthat.blogspot.com/

I've only posted once for 2.0, but as I have time I'll be writing a post for each lesson.

McGenealogist said...

This was something I did for our site a couple of years ago.

Anonymous said...

Here is my spot. This is something I could really enjoy once I get linked up to some other bloggers and friends find mine!

http://melniel.blogspot.com/

Regina said...

I created a blog. I haven't a clue where it is. When I figure this out I'll let you know.
regina

steph said...

I think I am confused :(

steph said...

maybe not ;)

http//stephsblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Blog set-up
http://csweb2-cs.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-3.html

Anonymous said...

I have my blog set up. It is http://vc-vcsblog.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

Trying to catch up.
Blog created.

http://ghsdawgblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-3-7-12-habits.html

Kathryn said...

Got it. Visit me at labibliotecariahabla.blogger.com

Kathryn said...

Now that I read thing 4, I've commented on thing 3, in Spanish:
http://labibliotecariahabla.blogspot.com/2008/11/la-cosa-3.html
...
Thing 1: http://labibliotecariahabla.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-1-and-thing-2.html

Thing 2: http://labibliotecariahabla.blogspot.com/2008/11/7-habits-of-highly-successful-lifelong.html

TillyBell said...

Blog is created! http://tillybell.blogspot.com

bksrgr8 said...

So far, so good! Much easier than I thought it would be.

lizzieJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lizzieJ said...

I will try again to post a comment here. I have completed Thing 2 and posted to my blog

http://www.liziej.blogspot.com/

Loves 2 Read said...

WOW! Pretty easy once I got started. Hopefully it will remain this way.

Anonymous said...

The hardest part of this so far was to come up with a name that no one else had chosen!! :-)

Sue's blog said...

This is a lot of fun and I am enjoying what I am doing. What a great way to learn something new because it can be on my own time.

Anonymous said...

Sooooo-we'll try again....hmmmmmm.
http://bobthebiker.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-first-post.html

kathy the librarian said...

Yes, when I did #3 I opened a blogger account. Now when I leave a post it tells me I am Kathy the Librarian and use another account. I just ignore that and post....and I do find my post actually published. Yeah!!!!!

Loves 2 Read said...

Thing #3 is done. My post can be found at http://erinslearning.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-3.html

Loves 2 Read said...

Thing #4 is complete and can be found at http://erinslearning.blogspot.com/2008/11/thing-4.html

Marie said...

I have now made it past Thing #3.
http://marieloveslibraries.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-now-have-three-things-posted-to-my.html

Kelly Thielen, a.k.a "The Library Lady" said...

Okay - My blog is up and my post for Life Long Learning is at http://wideworld-web-20.blogspot.com/2008/11/life-long-learning.html

Carol E said...

http://carol-hoorayya.blogspot.com/2008/11/nebraska-learns-20-thing-3.html

clwydshire said...

My test post is mostly nonsense.

Anonymous said...

#3 is complete and I'm on to 4. Blog URL is http://tokendude.blogspot.com/

Dan Nieman said...

I'v been working on this, but I hadn't been posting. I guess I better catch up. http://theantiquarianlibrarian.blogspot.com/2008/10/75-habits-of-highly-effective-lifelong.html

Mitzi said...

http://mitzi-mitzismusings.blogspot.com/2008/12/nebraska-learns-20-34.html

Pigeon Racing Fool said...

I did this back on December 18th but didn't know about posting to each individual thing.

Anonymous said...

Madison Public Library's blog can be found at:
http://madlibr.blogspot.com
I was sure I had posted this when this first began, but cannot find it now.

CrimGrayCoug said...

I really enjoyed creating a blog. Now I'm published!

http://crimgraycoug.blogspot.com/2009/01/learning-for-life.html

Beverly said...

My blog for Thing 3.

jeanette said...

I can't find where I posted a comment on this thing. I know it took me a couple of tries to get my blog set up but I did it.
so I am going back to check that I have all my comments done.
quiltingranny-jag.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Well, here's another comment that's turned up missing. Here's the blog...